Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Just couldn't relate

Lover At Last (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #11)Lover At Last by J.R. Ward
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Reading J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books is pure escapism to a world you know intellectually cannot possibly exist, but almost wish it could. The relationship between the brothers and their single-minded devotion to their "mates" is what keeps me going back for more.
Muscle-bound and dangerous "bad-boys" capable of absolute love and adoration - no wonder it fits into the fantasy genre! You read these novels expecting stereotypes, hot romance and heart-stopping action scenes. They do not contain a commentary on society, have no moral conclusions, and are certainly not bed-time reading for your children. BUT my word they are fun!

However, there were two "bad boys" in Lover at Last, and their adoration was for each other. I found it difficult to relate to the relationship between Blay and Qhuinn, and found myself skipping the steamy sex scenes. I don't believe that I am homophobic, but, like the rest of J.R. Ward's target market, I am female and heterosexual. I didn't hate it - I just couldn't relate to it!

Aside from that, the book was all over the place - confusing sub-plots, millions of characters, and no real story line! Maybe this series has gone on too long? Or, maybe J.R. Ward was out of her comfort zone wrting about 2 men in love. Whatever the cause, this book scores a very disappointing 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment